Serves 4 to 6
Scant 1 cup water at 120°F
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon fresh yeast
Scant 2 cups white wheat flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 red beets
2 yellow beets
6 ounces of soft blue cheese
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup cilantro, largely chopped
1. In a large mixing bowl add the water then whisk in 1 tablespoon of
olive oil and add the yeast.
2. Let the mixture stand for a few minutes, proofing the yeast.
3. Slowly add the liquid mixture to the flour, mixing well.
4. Knead the dough for about 2 minutes then shape it into a ball.
5. Wrap the dough with a damp towel and let stand for 20 minutes.
6. Knead in the salt.
7. Place on a floured tray and lightly cover with plastic wrap.
8. Let it sit at room temperature for 4 hours until it has doubled in size.
1. Peel beets, wrap in tinfoil and bake at 425°F for an hour, until
tender. Remove and thinly slice.
2. Roll out pizza dough until very thin.
3. Baste dough with remaining tablespoon of olive oil, top with beets and
blue cheese and cook for 10 minutes, until dough is done.
4. Top with pine nuts and cilantro, and serve.